Faces of City Ave – Dilun Wu, New York Life
Meet Dilun Wu, Financial Services Professional at New York Life.
Born in China, Dilun came to the U.S. at 15 years old. She has been able to thrive in her career
and loves helping women-owned businesses grow and preserve what they have accumulated.
- I first heard about New York Life from my current business partner. He reached out to me and introduced this 174 years old phenomenal mutual company. New York Life is a great opportunity for business-minded professionals to start a career.
What is your role at New York Life?
- My role at New York Life is to first analyze a personal, business, and/or estate situation. Next, determine one’s financial goals and explore what they would like to accomplish. Then educate them with financial concepts and principles. Finally, apply my professional knowledge and strategy to get them to where they would like to be.
Before working at New York Life, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
- Import/export consulting. I was able to utilize my bilingual skills to help companies negotiate their trading contracts.
How has New York Life helped you in your career development?
- My father’s entrepreneurial spirit has always been in me. New York Life has provided me with a platform to accomplish my ultimate career.
What are 3 words to describe New York Life?
- Love, Trust, & Promise
What drew you to New York Life originally? How has New York Life changed since?
- New York Life caught my attention when my father passed away in 2016. My father was a successful businessman in China. My parents sent me to the U.S. for a better education when I was just 15 years old. When he passed away from lung cancer, I had to travel back to China for his ceremony. That is when I discovered my father had proper financial planning in place for my mother and I. Knowing my father had proper planning, it felt right to join a financial company when I came back to the U.S. Having my father’s legacy as the foundation of my career, it has given me courage and passion to serve more people who are in need.
What has been your favorite project at New York Life?
- Every project is unique in its own way. My favorite project at New York Life would be estate planning and helping women-owned businesses grow and preserve what they have accumulated.
What is the favorite part about working for New York Life?
- Protecting and preserving wealth. Making sure my clients receive a paycheck when they need it the most.
What is your proudest moment at New York Life?
- Witnessing clients & their families be able to get personal advancements. Whether it is going to college or starting a business of their choice; receiving guaranteed income in their retirement; minimizing their taxes and risks, while maximizing their savings and returns.
Do you have a favorite quote?
- “Money can’t buy you everything, but without money; you can’t do anything.”
How do you define success?
- I measure success with “Value”. When my value can make an impact in society or my community.
If you had to eat one meal, every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Tacos with guacamole.
What did you want to be when growing up?
- A businesswoman who owns her business.
What do you always want to try and never did?
- To fly a helicopter over the savanna in Africa.
What is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery?
- A car – Ferrari
What places have you lived in?
- Wuhan (born and raised), Lancaster, State College, Harrisburg, & Philadelphia.
You’re happiest when?
- I eat sushi with wine.
Is there anything special about City Ave that you can share?
- The people. The energy in the district is extremely positive. I look forward to being more involved with the district and expand my network within. Also, making more friends to explore the city with.