Faces of City Ave – Joanne Harmelin, Harmelin Media
Meet the Founder & CEO of Harmelin Media, Joanne Harmelin.
The media-buying company started 35 years ago out of her home and has grown into one of the largest independent media service companies in the country.
One of her proudest moments at Harmelin Media is being selected as Business Person of the Year from the State of Pennsylvania.
- Before working at Harmelin Media, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had? I wouldn’t call it a job but I was in the convent for almost 3 years. It has made me a more compassionate and empathetic CEO.
- If you could switch jobs with anyone else within Harmelin Media whose job would you want? The receptionist. She meets new people every day and she reflects the culture of the company. She gives the first impression of the company to everyone who comes through the door. A very important position.
- What are three words to describe Harmelin Media? Strategies, Solutions, Success
- Do you have a favorite newspaper? New York Times
- Do you have a favorite quote? “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.” Charles R. Swindoll
- Favorite travel spot? Hawaii
- How do you define success? The ability to provide our clients with superior work and excellent customer service so that they can be more successful. Their success is our success.
- What book did you read last? “Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don’t” by Simon Sinek
- What is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery? A college education for all my employee’s children.
- Your happiest when? I’m with my husband, children and grandchildren
- Is there anything special about City Avenue that you can share? It’s the gateway to the city and the suburbs- a perfect balance of urban and suburban. A great place to have a business.