Faces of City Ave: Velou Jovin & Witt Jovin
(Son, Witt, is pictured left with his father Joe)
Father & Son Duo
Velou “Joe” Jovin recently retired from Allied Universal this past December. He had been the Lead Security Guard in the GSB Building for over 30 years. His son, Witt Jovin, is a Community Service Rep for the City Ave District. For years these two have been able to work out of the same building together, which is something they will cherish now that Joe has retired.
- How has Allied Universal helped you in your career development? Being that I see all of the visitors enter and exit the GSB Building, I have been able to enhance my social skills.
- Do you have a favorite newspaper, blog? The “Daily News” – Harry Gross articles
- Do you have a favorite quote? Take it one day at a time
- How do you define success? Accomplish your goals
- People would be surprised if they knew: That I never called out of work in 30 years
- What did you want to be when growing up? A pharmacist
- What do you always want to try and never did? Flying a plane
- What is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery? 1964 Chevrolet
- Is there anything special about City Ave that you can share? You find almost everything you need and people are friendly. The best part is that there is only a short distance between the city of Philadelphia and City Ave District.
- What has been your favorite project at CASSD? The Streetscape and Safety Improvement Program because it is helping the flow of traffic on City Ave and making it safer for pedestrians.
- What is your proudest moment at CASSD? I made it past 5 years of service.
- Any favorite line from a movie? The Terminator: “ I’ll be back”
- Do you have a favorite quote? Everything is possible if you make an effort for it.
- Do you recall any embarrassing moment at work? Falling off of my bike and segway.
- People would be surprised if they knew: I speak more than one language
- What do you always want to try and never did? Create a comic book
- What is your favorite thing to do in the area? Eat at all the different restaurants
- What places have you lived in? New York, Haiti, California, Southwest Philly
- You’re happiest when? When everyone in my circle is doing well.
- Is there anything special about City Ave that you can share? The people who work in this business district truly show brotherly love.